- About High Precision Testing
- Product Series
Cell Voltage up to 5V
CE Precision better than 25 ppm up to 5A
CE Precision better than 50 ppm up to 200A
Arbin offers ultra-high precision charge/discharge testing system for meaningful coulombic efficiency testing on cells up to 200A. Low current HPT systems are also available.
Arbin Instruments, Ford Motor Company and Sandia National Lab partnered together on an ARPA-E project beginning in 2012 to develop a high-precision, high-power battery tester. This new “HPT” system allows users to more clearly see degradation mechanisms on a full-scale (high capacity) cell under real-world conditions. The project goal was to develop a testing system capable of 50ppm coulombic efficiency precision at up to 200A. This project concluded in 2015 with Arbin’s successful commercialization of the new HPT product series.
HPT systems have been used by leading industry partners since 2014 during the ARPA-E project evaluation period, but only became available to the general public in 2016. What sets the Arbin HPT apart from other high-precision testers is the power level. Achieving 50ppm CE precision above ~1A required a tremendous amount of R&D and technological advancement. Arbin offers HPT systems at 100mA, 1A, 5A, 50A, and 200A.
All Arbin testing systems come with a PC preloaded with our MITS 7 and Data Watcher software for creating test profiles, real‐time data monitoring, and data plotting & analysis.
- HPC Measurements (Coulombic Efficiency)
- Electrochemical R&D, Battery & Supercapacitor Testing
- Half‐Cell Testing and Materials Research
- Life Cycle Testing
Measurement Resolution: 24-bit (1 part in 16,777,216)
Measurement Precision: <25ppm
Control Accuracy: <0.003%
Timing Precision: 5ppm of testing period, but no less than 900uS
Data Logging Rate: 200 points per second, per system
Connection for PC: TCP/IP (Ethernet)
Ventilation Method: air-cooled with variable speed fans
- Each channel provides 4 or 5 current ranges and one voltage range with industry-leading 24-bit resolution (1 part in 16,77,216)
- The high level of measurement precision allows control accuracy to self-regulate while running
- Internal regulation and control with pre-set temperature sensing components
- Embedded timing device with verified long-term stability
- High precision test channel with full potentiostatic/galvanostatic control with its own reference electrode
- Powerful embedded controllers provide fast data logging (200 points per second, per system) and control flexibility for the most advanced test requirements
- Uses true bipolar linear circuitry providing cross-zero linearity and zero switching time between charge and discharge
- HPT systems up to 5A are offered with built-in life cycle chambers to provide constant temperature measurements for the device under test
- A wide array of auxiliary inputs/outputs are available for additional data collection or control such as temperature monitoring, additional reference electrodes, and more
- Arbin’s advanced software package, MITS Pro, provides flexible scheduling, a user‐friendly interface, distributed system control, and data acquisition
- Software provides easy data analysis and plotting based in Data Watcher and Microsoft Excel
- Raw data is stored in SQL database
- Optional calibration equipment kits with high precision shunt are available
- Multiple levels of fusing are provided inside the system for protection as the channel/board and power supply levels.
- System watchdog and over-charge / over-discharge protection
- Each channel module has a fully redundant microcontroller dedicated for safety monitoring.
- Arbin’s software has safety functions for entire tests, and for individual steps within a test to help the user avoid overcharging, over‐discharging, over‐heating, etc.
- Tests begin with a built‐in safety check of all control values.
Arbin Instruments provides a wide variety of auxiliary modules for expanding the capability of the main charge/discharge control circuitry. Modules can either be placed in the main chassis, or in a small external chassis. This also makes it easy to add auxiliary options to existing systems.
Auxiliary Voltage – Used as additional reference electrodes to measure voltage.
Temperature Thermocouple/Thermistor – Used to record temperature as well as control the test schedule
MTCI (Chamber Interface) – Interface with a 3rd party temperature chamber so Arbin software can turn chamber on/off and adjust temperature
LCC (Life Cycle Chamber) – Arbin offers a small temp. chamber designed to operate between 10 and 60C
Digital I/O – Send and receive a simple on/off signal to interact with external devices.
Analog I/O – Control any device operating on a 0(2)‐10V signal.
CANBus – Communicate with internal pack circuitry using CANBus protocols.
UPS – Uninterrupted power supply for PC so tests can resume automatically after brief power outages.
Battery Connections – A variety of battery holders are available for coincells, cylindrical cells, flat/pouch cells, and more.
Shunt – high-precision shunt may be used for calibration of your Arbin system.
|HPT – 100mA|
|HPT – 1A|
|HPT – 5A|
|HPT – 50A|
|HPT – 200A|